A little while ago I was roaming the isles at my local Asian grocery store, and in the pork section i noticed some thinly cut, very round steaks labeled "pork steak". It was really heavily marbled, and I thought to myself, "wow, that looks like a coppa steak....i wonder if I can get the whole piece that these steaks were cut from". I went up to the meat counter and asked if this part was the neck or collar of the pig. He told me it was (although I'm not certain he understood my question), and he said he had a whole one.
You might remember my issue with procuring coppa muscles, having to buy whole shoulders and carving out the coppa from them, in the hope that the butcher hadn't mangled it. Amazingly, what i was able to buy as "pork steak" seemed to be a whole coppa, and on top of that, it was nicely trimmed into the correct shape for me! I couldn't wait to cure it.
|Ingredient||Quantity(g)||% of Meat|
|Salt ( Kosher)||57||3.50%|
As you can see I kept the flavorings rather simple, actually, essentially identical to my best coppa to date. In that one the close was still quite strong, so i decided to remove it entirely.
This is the whole pork steak as I got it from my market. I hope i can keep finding these
This is the other side of the piece of meat, note the beautiful fat on there. It's going to be TASTY!
Spice mixture ready to apply and massage into the coppa
The coppa was massaged with the spice mixture, making sure to get into all crevices and nooks and crannies.
This was put into the fridge for 3 weeks, and turned once 1/2 way though. I left it longer than i have in the past because it's so thick. I prefer to make sure it's cured through than to under-cure.
After its time in the cure, I washed it off well, and dried nicely. I trimmed off the small flap of meat that was just hanging out there. Small piece, and i was concerned that if I just folded it against the main piece i might have air pockets in there.
I tried stuffing it into a 90mm collagen casing, and there was no way it was fitting.
Here it is stuffed into a 100mm casing. It was really a pain to stuff it in there, but i'm glad i did. Look how nice and round it is, no air pockets and nice and compacted.
Notice i don't tie the end of the casing with string. I used my nice new hog ring pliers. It was pretty convenient and certainly easier than using string.
Rather than using string to tie it up, I had some elastic netting I figured I would try.
Let's go to the chamber. I didn't put it in the "fermentation" box like I have previously, because I'm not sure I fully understand the reasoning behind doing that on solid muscles. I've read that it helps with the initial drying, but I not sure it's strictly necessary.
It's in there now at 55 deg. F and 75-80% RH. I'll leave it like that for about a week, then lower the RH to about 70-75%.
Keep an eye out for a tasting report.