Thursday, October 7, 2010

Hey, look what I found!!

One of the main problems with the Kitchenaid grinder is the proprietary grinder plates that go with it (standalone grinders use standard plates that come in a billion sizes). There are really only 2 sizes...."fine" and "very fine". The "fine" grinder grinder plate is 1/4", which is pretty good for many salami, the "very fine" is not particularly useful except for a few things. So I had a friend in a machine shop make me a larger 7/16" plate (someone on ebay makes them, take a look there, they're a great deal at $15 a piece). It works really well, but it's a just a HAIR too big. The other day I checked out Ebay to see if anyone had made any other custom plates, and imagine my surprise when I ran into a Kitchenaid "coarse" grinder plate, which didn't look like my "coarse" grinder plate!
It appears that at some point, quite a few years ago, Kitchenaid decided that for home use, a 1/4" coarse plate would be more useful than the one they had back then in the kit, a 3/8" one. I would agree that 1/4" is more useful for stuff like burger...but 3/8" i think would be nice to have for salame. I got it for a bargain $12!

Here is the plate I just got in the mail. I think it'll be a perfect size for many salami...excited to use it.

My advice to all those with a KA grinder is to keep an eye open at thrift stores, flea markets or Ebay for an old style "coarse" Kitchenaid grinder plate.

13 comments:

Jennifer S said...

Thanks, Jason! This is great to know about.

Jon in Albany said...

You probably just started some bidding wars!

Jasonmolinari said...

Jon, probably, but i have mine :)
actually this is the 1st time i've ever seen one. I had heard about them, but never seen one...i thought it was a mystical plate until last week!

MissC said...

I found your blog by surfing around for bresaola.

I have a KA, used it for almost 20 years. This is good to know. Thanks!

Liz said...

I never knew people make them and sell them on ebay! I'd just assume you'd have to buy them through the company. Ingenious.

EricD said...

The ebay guy is "dive-xtras" He makes 10.5 and 12mm plates. I have both. Well made. Work great.

Kevin Kossowan said...

Just discovered your blog today - great work, and look forward to following it moving forward.
Cheers,
Kevin

Jasonmolinari said...

Thanks Kevin. Welcome.

Unknown said...

Hi Jason

we got tons of requests for this size plate after your post, so I made some and have just got them in. You can find them on ebay with the other plates.

Thanks
Ben
Dive Xtras

Jasonmolinari said...

That's awesome Ben, i'm glad you're filling the need!
I moved to a dedicated #12 grinder so i don't need one, or i'd buy one for sure

Anonymous said...

Hey jason,

Just curious what grinder you are using now ?

Jasonmolinari said...

I'm using a standalone #12 grinder i got from Northern Industrial Tool. It's not bad!

Michael Vasconcelos said...

The cool. I've been racking my brain looking for a meat grinder. I didn't want to spend the $ on a heavy duty one right out the gate. I also didn't want one that was unreliable or made the whole experience unpleasant. At this point I think I've decided on the LEM 575 watt grinder for $100. LEM makes reliable products and this grinder seems to get good reviews. If it turns out I make sausage and cured meat often then I'll upgrade.

What I didn't want was to spend money on a complete lemon.